Score a Touchdown, Get Cheers. Score With Your Boyfriend, Get Kicked Off the Team
A little PDA typically gets you high fives from your college teammates. But if you’re gay, it gets you the boot.
Jamie Kuntz, a freshman at the North Dakota State College of Sciences, said he was kicked off the football team after his coach found out he was gay.
Here’s how it all went down:
- Kuntz was held out of the first game of the season because of a concussion and was filming the game in the press box with his 65-year-old boyfriend (yes, 65. This shit is real.).
- A teammate saw the two kiss and told their coach about it, who then asked Kuntz what happened.
- Kuntz, taking the route one might expect out of a freshman college student, lied and told his coach it was his grandfather in the press box. Oh dear Jesus.
- He then came clean and told his coach it was actually his boo thang up in the press box.
- Then he got kicked off the team.
Really though, football and gays seem to be all the rage right now. I mean, Kelly Clarkson is making us watch the game, NFL players Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo are making strides for marriage equality, and the new NFL uniforms are
delightfully surprisingly see-through.
But this story just kind of rustles my jimmies.
To be honest y’all- I’m a little torn. On one hand, I see that this just reeks of awful. Discover athlete is gay after he lies to you, kick athlete off team- it just looks prejudicial and discriminatory. I’m never the first one to generalize, but the midwest isn’t exactly known for its tolerance of sexual diversity. On the other hand, homeboy admits he lied to his coach. Not sure about you guys, but if I were a football coach, I wouldn’t be super happy about my athletes making out with… well… anybody during a time when they’re supposed to be doing something to help the team.
The thing is, I don’t think I’d kick them off the team.