Badass Teacher Suspended for Playing the Cutest, Gayest Song in the World in Class
When Macklemore dropped “Same Love,” I thought I’d never listen to another song ever again. It had the peculiar ability to simultaneously make me weep and want to fight someone at the same time, which, if you know me, happens only when I witness the best of things.
So when I heard that a Michigan middle school teacher was suspended without pay because she played the song in her music class, I nearly lost it. I stopped weeping and I just wanted to fight somebody.
Susan Johnson, a music teacher at Centennial Middle School in South Lyon, was suspended without pay because… apparently, I don’t know… equality is offensive?
This isn’t the first time a Michigan teacher has been suspended for bringing up gay rights in school. Read about that hulabaloo here.
Here is my list of “what happened” questions for Centennial Middle School, because I just don’t know anymore:
- What happened to the arts?
- What happened to addressing bullying in schools?
- What happened to celebrating teachers who use new teaching methods?
- What happened to the younger generation being tolerant?
- What happened to music challenging conventional thinking, and that being OK?
- What happened to sucking it up for equality?
Last question: Who is this kid and who are his parents that he’s got his his panties-in-a-bunch over “Same Love.” I mean, loosen your corsette. Have a drink.